Wednesday, August 19, 2015

In Praise of Almost The Simplest Module

(photo by Eva Lewin - see below)

I'm going to gush about a few modules over the next few days, and the first is probably one of the simplest powered modules I own. It is also one of the things that makes my rig look really cool, and is also super-helpful when doing gigs.

That module is the Synthwerks Lamp-1 module.

This little 4HP module was one of the first Eurorack modules I bought, and has stuck with me through tons and tons of other system changes. Why so important? Well, first of all, it sits at the top-left side of my case, which is a perfect spot to have some multiples for distribution of oscillator pitch CV. So that's useful.

Then there is the USB lamp connection and dimmer. When I got the LAMP-1 (used) from a Muffwiggler seller, it didn't have any lamp - the knucklehead I bought it from didn't bother to mention that he'd lost his lap. So I jumped onto Amazon and found a GoalZero Luna LED Stick Light. This provides 10 LED lamps across most of the surface of my Station 252 case, and adds a cool Buchla-esque feel to the case that makes it a fan favorite as well. It is also wonderfully small for packing and traveling.

And travel it does, because it gives me a great performance option: no matter what the environment that I'm play in, I will always have the same illumination that I use when I'm geeking out in the living room. This gives me a warm blanket of familiarity, and helps tamp down the Everything-Is-New-Again feeling when you set up for a gig. Surprisingly helpful.

Of all my 4HP modules, this is clearly one of my favorites, and will probably follow me around for years to come.

[ddg]

(The photo at the top of this post was done by Eva Lewin during a recent (no)poem gig in Des Moines, IA. Eva's work was amazing; you can see more of her work here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment