Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Next Up on the Performance Scene

Thanks to my friend Wally, I've got a performing spot at the upcoming Full Moon Festival (put on by MESS). Far up in the Rocky Mountains, this is going to be a great opportunity to play out with the Octatrack; I've put together an hour set that is a mix of my-favorite-martian DJ'ing and live performance. I'm seamlessly moving back and forth between full-on performance and track playback - which is going to feature the work of one of my favorite artists: Alva Noto.

One of the coolest thing about this gig is the way that MESS puts together stages. They have two stages: a Moon Stage and an Earth Stage. The Moon Stage is where you would get the more typical festival work, featuring a lot of dance-worthy, pumping tracks. The Earth Stage, on the other hand, allows for an eclectic mix of experimental, down-tempo and dubby tracks.

In order to honor this plan, I've put together a custom set that combines the minimal/experimental work of Noto, the Jazz-Meets-Techno work that Andrew Pask and I do, and the darker minimalism that I typically do. Oh, and a bunch of French-influenced tracks. Completely left-field, but in a pretty interesting and surprising way.

Luckily for me, the Full Moon Festival actually has a place for something like this. Getting excited!

[ddg]

No comments:

Post a Comment