Tuesday, September 15, 2015

For Lack of a...



... damned polyfuse. I purchased a bunch of Thonk kits for the Mikrophonie; it was my goal to 'finance' my purchase with the build-out and sale of several other kits. Alas, I got around to building 'my' Mikrophonie today, only to find that the kit was short one polyfuse.

Sadly, I took it to the local electronics shop (JB Saunders in Boulder), and they looked at me like I just dropped in from Mars. "You called it a what?", they said. "Is it resettable?". It's smaller than a pencil eraser, so no - it's not resettable.

It seemed like I'd just walked into the General Store of some 50's sit-com, and the old guys were saying "You know, in my day, britches were made from that hard denim - why, you couldn't even skin a 'possum one these con-founded new things."

Look like I'm gonna have to Mouser some of these, which means I'm going to be $10 to ship a .04 cent part...

Grrrr. Note to kit manufacturers: count twice, seal the bag once.

[ddg]

2 comments:

  1. If you haven't ordered yet, you might pop into the Boulder Hackerspace (aka Solid State Depot) to see if they've got any extras. They have an open house every Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't ordered yet, you might pop into the Boulder Hackerspace (aka Solid State Depot) to see if they've got any extras. They have an open house every Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete