Monday, September 28, 2015

In Search Of...






I want a voltage-controlled ADSR envelope. I know - they are part of the tyranny of the keyboard player, and I should be happy with an infinite number of Maths. But, alas, I sometimes want to sequence with an ADSR, and I'm in a quandry.

And this is something that is too hard to do in Modular Grid.

I want a VC-ADSR of a reasonable width, and a short enough depth that it'll fit in my Tiptop Station 252 case. I really want the VC part, because it provides for some interesting options in an otherwise static sequenced line. But I don't want goofy response curves, and I don't want goofy scaling of the controls. Basically, I want a simpler version of the Tiptop Z-4000 VC-ADSR, but without the odd scaling of controls - or the extra features like the unknowable Deviator.

Does anyone know of something that might fit the bill? In less than, say, 12 HP? Am I dreaming the dreams of the stupid?

[ddg]

5 comments:

  1. It's 14 HP, but the Doepfer A-141-2 sounds like it might work. http://www.doepfer.de/a1412.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, the A-141-2 has a 70mm depth, which is a killer. Sadness.

    I had one in the past, and it worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I see why the VC is so cool. One of my favorite ways to spice up a sequence is to use a Wogglebug to randomly fluctuate the release time on a Maths. Even cooler is to invert the random voltage and then feed that to the release on a second sequence so when one note is short the other is long. Maybe add some stereo panning. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I see why the VC is so cool. One of my favorite ways to spice up a sequence is to use a Wogglebug to randomly fluctuate the release time on a Maths. Even cooler is to invert the random voltage and then feed that to the release on a second sequence so when one note is short the other is long. Maybe add some stereo panning. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great hint! I'm gonna try that on my system right this second...

    (Love working from home!)

    ReplyDelete