Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A New Secret Weapon?






A few weeks ago, I was in Denver chatting with William Mathewson - the man behind the WMD pedal and modular company. As part of the interview, I asked William what his favorite module design was, and he mentioned the Synchrodyne. I'd heard of it, but never tried one, so on the way out of his office I asked if I could take one for a test drive.

Zounds!

I've not yet come fully to grips with this module, but the concept is crazy: use a filter that needs a clocking mechanism, then put that clocking mechanism under the control of a VCO. Then also have a phase-locked loop built-in that can be used to influence (or even drive) the oscillator, with all of the accompanying drift and mis-locking. The result is something I'd never heard, which can vary from a bit-reduced blaster to a buzzing ripsaw. Use the PLL to track a sequence, and the whole thing gets wobbly - and in some ways alive!

Machines can amaze when they seem to have minds of their own. They can also make their makers proud. I understand why William is into this design - it is outright amazing.

[ddg]

1 comment:

  1. That was a great podcast and I was super curious about this module when he was discussing it. I can't wait to hear it!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete